Sailing Instructor, Karen Dobbs
Karen Dobbs is a US Sailing Certified, Small Boat Instructor with several years of experience teaching sailors of all ages – Adults on High C’s and on Flying Scots; Young People on 420’s and Sunfish.
Karen has owned her Hunter 260, High C’s, since 2000. She has rigged the boat so that she can sail single-handed (alone, without a crew) which has allowed Karen to sail and race extensively on Lake Norman as well as on Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia. Karen has clocked over 2,750 miles on the odometer of High C’s since 2000.
Karen has a degree in Music and spent a 25 year career as the Executive Director of a number of professional symphony orchestras. Her first administrative position was with a group that played concerts on a barge while the audience sat on the riverbank. She’ll be happy to share some of the stories of her river travels with you, if you’re interested. Karen has also taught private Trumpet lessons along with Middle and High School Band Classes. Therefore, she is patient and can problem-solve with the best of them!
Karen’s Sailing Experience includes:
- Sailing Instructor, NC Community Sailing & Rowing/Lake Norman
- Sailing Instructor, Share Great Times (Family Projects)
- Individual Teaching
- Raced Hunter 260, Outrigger Yacht Club in LKN and Blackwater Yacht Racing in VA
- Raced Sunfish, Blackwater Yacht Racing in VA
- Crewed on 32 foot Racing Sloop, Upstate New York
- Crewed on 70 foot Sloop, “Liberty” in Rhode Island
- Skippered on 32 foot Hunter, Lake Erie in Ohio
- Skipper, Hunter 28 for 6 Day Cruise, Lake Erie
- Skipper, Hunter 42 and Pierson 36 for Two separate 5 Day Cruises, Oriental, NC<